Preactor and Lean Scheduling
The Lean Problem
The inability of ERP systems to support Lean initiatives has led Lean practitioners to rely almost exclusively on simple, visual control systems.
However the Aberdeen Group concludes that “…many manufacturers have taken some of Lean’s principles such as simplification too far and are missing critical benefits that software and technology can bring in systematizing and sustaining Lean methods in the organization.”
Lean is unable to work effectively when faced with variable demand patterns and complex value streams.
Like ERP, Lean is unable to handle change!
The Core Issue
Lean has always focused on improving internal processes.
Lean relies on Kanban to connect to customer demand.
Kanban has too many limitations.
Click here to read about the seven major Kanban limitations.
The Lean Solution
Build on Lean’s success by replacing obsolete core ERP planning functionality with new and innovative APS tools that support Lean’s strengths while adding critical functionality that enables manufacturers to:
- React quickly and systematically to variable demand patterns.
- Accurately synchronize level loaded production schedules with the flow of material.
- Eliminate non value added activities needed just to maintain ERP.
- Extend Visual Control Systems to provide company-wide visibility
- Make better operational decisions by simulating the consequences of what-if alternatives.
Read the following articles to find out more about Preactor and Demand Driven Lean: