“I feel very passionate about what LSI has done to make Fort Walton Machining more successful as a company”
- Joe Spradlin IT Manager at Fort Walton Machining
“The LSI team took the time to understand my scheduling needs, to understand the rules we wanted implemented in our scheduling. They worked tirelessly to create a scheduling solution that both reflected these rules and improved our productivity and on-time delivery to the customer. Together with LSI we were able to successfully implement Preactor as well as a shop floor Manufacturing Execution System to improve our performance to the plan.”
- Paul Mittendorff, Manager Production Controlling at Hoerbiger
Manufacturers who have implemented fast, smart APS solutions have a significant competitive advantage because they are able to systematically react quicker to changes in customer demand while simultaneously eliminating costly manual work and confusion. Manufacturers who don’t adapt will be left behind and unable to compete on an even footing.
The problem is that 80 – 90% of all APS solutions are not successful and they produce zero results!
Why is selecting the right APS scheduling software so difficult?
The number one reason that APS scheduling systems fail is because companies select the wrong software. The reason that it is so difficult to select the right software is that no matter how hard you try, it is simply not possible to understand all the functionality you will need until you are well into your APS implementation process.
This means that traditional software selection techniques are inadequate because they typically rely too much on the quality of the software demonstration which is flawed if you don’t understand your requirements.
Before making a decision to invest in an APS solution, it would probably be very helpful to understand the reasons why APS solutions typically fail (see below) because they can all be avoided. Spending a few minutes reviewing the information on this page can prevent you from making a serious mistake.
What are some of the specific benefits unique to Preactor?
Although Preactor provides great functionality out of the box, its real power is that it is a tool set for building scheduling solutions. Like a Lego set it can be used to build your own unique scheduling solution which is what sets it apart from other APS solutions. If you are happy with a mediocre production scheduling solution that does what everybody else is doing then there is no need to choose Preactor but if your intent is to create a scheduling solution that delivers immediate results while laying the groundwork for unlimited future improvements and innovation then you need Preactor.
If you care about protecting your investment then you need to understand that there are over 5,000 manufacturers who use Preactor. Preactor has been around since 1993 and is owned by Siemens, one of the world’s most successful companies. Most APS developers have a very limited customer base and typically they come and go at an alarming rate.
Siemens is there for the long haul and they are totally committed to investing heavily in making sure that Preactor stays the world’s most successful independent APS solution for manufacturers.
The Top 3 reasons that APS systems fail.
- If you invest in manufacturing scheduling software that can’t be modified or customized to address your unique needs or software that can only be modified by the developer then you may be limited as to what you can accomplish in the short-term and, more importantly, the long-term.
- When your manufacturing software prevents you from implementing new ideas then you are severely limited as to what you can achieve. This is a catastrophic situation because none of the time or money invested in that solution can be re-cooperated and it leaves the IT manager with nowhere to go except start the process again.This is obviously something that you want to avoid.
- Since it is not possible to have a clear understanding of the functionality you will need to be successful, it is not possible to accurately evaluate scheduling software during a demo.
- You need to talk to references who hopefully have some similarity to what you do and you need to understand the process and ask them what factors impacted the success of the project.
- Most manufacturers do not have internal resources that have the knowledge and experience to implement an APS system so they need to find an implementation partner who really knows what they are doing and who has a proven track record.
- The right software partner will make sure you have realistic, achievable objectives while helping you understand factors that do and don’t impact your bottom line.
- Typically getting immediate and dramatic improvements is only the first major benefit you can expect when working with LSI and Preactor. This opens up new opportunities for you to be creative and innovative, knowing that you now have the tools and the expertise to do things that couldn’t be done before. Having a strategic partner who can work with you and guide you every step of the way dramatically improves your chances of achieving this level of success.
- The only way to determine if an implementation partner can actually deliver these kinds of results is to talk to their references. We suggest that you ask them about their initial implementation and more importantly get them to tell you about how their system evolved over the first few years.
- Most of our competitors don’t have longer-term relationships with their customers which often indicates that they don’t have the experience, the expertise or the right scheduling software needed to take you to the next level.